Much like any other part of your home, the cost of a kitchen countertop varies depending on several factors. Here in the Philippines, a granite countertop normally ranges from Php5,000 ($150) to Php50,000 ($1,200). Marble, on the other hand, costs even higher. To give you an idea on how much will you be charged by your local supplier, keep in mind the following: granite philippines
a. Supply & Demand
– Like every other goods sold in the market, the most significant factor affecting all the stones’ prices worldwide is the supply and demand.
– The most common and readily available colors, like Salt & Pepper (G603), will not have a high price point because of their abundance.
– Rarity creates value. When a stone is sold exclusively by one company, they can demand a high price for it.
b. Origin (Quarry Location) of the Material
– Transportation expenses add up to the price of slabs. Materials quarried within your country or region may cost less compared to those shipped from across the globe.
– In addition, labor cost affects price of every material. Thus, one can expect that the stone processed in China will be cheaper compared to the ones produced in Italy or Brazil, considering the wage difference.
c. Slab Size
– Larger slab dimensions allow us to install countertops with less seams, but more wastage.
– One large piece of granite or marble will have a more uniform color and appearance compared to using 2 or smaller slabs joined together.
– Not all slabs, however, are available in the size you need for your project. Sometimes you will be required to buy another should the size won’t suffice.
– Larger slabs are more difficult to work with during installation of your countertop.
– Granites and marbles are extracted in large blocks and are cut into slabs (imagine a white bread cut into slices). To get more out of the huge chunk, some factories maximize the slabs they produce by cutting thinner sections.
– Slabs usually come in 18 mm thickness. The thicker the stone, the more expensive it gets.
e. Complexity of the Installation
– Countertops must only be installed by experienced professionals. It may be tempting to do-it-yourself, but you will only be able to save the money if you do the job correctly.